From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Killing UEFI Secure Boot
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:52:57
1 On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > Roy Bamford wrote:
3 >
4 >> So when you build a dud kernel and flash your BIOS with it, and we
5 >> all build the odd dud, your motherboard is bricked.
6 >
7 > Any firmware modification has potential to brick, and shouldn't be
8 > done unless you are comfortable with the modification, or with
9 > solving a brick problem. :)
10
11 So, why are we still going back and forth about this? If people want
12 to work on coreboot they can do so (I'm sure they have a list). If
13 people want to fork coreboot or redo it from scrach they can do so and
14 start their own list.
15
16 When it is shiny and perfect and has a following of hundreds of linux
17 users we can always discuss whether we recommend using it in the
18 handbook on -dev then. Otherwise it seems about as on-topic as
19 debating whether grub or systemd or openrc should have feature A/B/C -
20 we're a DISTRO - we integrate and ship what upstream gives us...
21
22 Rich