From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:49:01
1 пн, 20 апр. 2020 г. в 17:38, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>:
2 > Diamond dependencies manifest mainly in delayed version
3 > bumps, while slyfox does all the work to make sure that the things
4 > already in the tree will work with the new version. This requires lots
5 > of careful updates to neighboring packages, and unfortunately a lot of
6 > cabal file hacking.
7
8 This is precisely what I meant by "doesn't scale well".
9
10 Wonder if this can be automated.
11
12 > > Dunno much about Go and I don't have a single Go package locally to
13 > > check. Do they do static or dynamic linking with the deps, for
14 > > instance? What's the language model wrt API and linking?
15 >
16 > FORGET I MENTIONED IT
17
18 Lol, happy to!
19
20 > >> and C.
21 > >
22 > > More stable API (and ABI).
25 > Definitely. The "Haskell" language changes entirely every few years.
26
27 Some say the same about C++ (and ABI does change even within a standard), so...
28
29 > I've learned the hard way that it discourages you from doing all the
30 > things that I just said high-quality software should do.
31
32 Again, ranging from one-off pseudo-scripts that I had to come back to
33 after a couple of years, to quite complicated pieces of software
34 running in prod and actually serving customers I had to update up to
35 the latest LTS after 3-4 years of inactivity, I tend to disagree. Even
36 the latter was a surprisingly smooth process boiling down to about an
37 hour or two of very effortless, mechanical and thus boring code
38 changes (mostly about Semigroup/Monoid hierarchy, if you wonder).
39
40 This is surely offtopic, but I just don't want to silently participate
41 in spreading things that aren't objectively true (even if they are
42 subjectively true in your/mine/etc experience).
43
44 > There's a core of mature Haskell that's pretty easy to develop against.
45 > (I think you just have to wait about five years with any project before
46 > the authors realize that changing everything every month isn't fun.) Out
47 > in the woods you can still get into a lot of trouble though. We now have
48 > the mature core stuff in ::gentoo, and the crazies out in the ::haskell
49 > overlay. That feels like the right mix.
50
51 I've seen transifex-client last-rited the other day and was thinking
52 of throwing up something in haskell (plus I have a couple of other
53 projects that might be useful). Let's see what it'd take to get that
54 into ::gentoo once I'm done.
55
56 BTW having things like servant in ::haskell as opposed to ::gentoo is
57 like having boost in some C++ overlay as opposed to ::gentoo.
60 Georg Rudoy