From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keywordreqs and slacking arch teams
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:06:01
1 On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 10:35:09 +0100
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hmmm, interested to hear what kind of things you're thinking about here.
5
6 A lot of the "Work" of filing a keyword request is modelling all the
7 consequential keywordings that have to take place.
8
9 If there was say, a web based UI, that:
10
11 - Automatically determined which packages are ready for stabilization
12 due to all their dependencies already being stable (and maybe with
13 automatic cooldown-from-testing detection )
14
15 - Automatically determined which packages can be keyworded without
16 additional work due to all their dependencies being keyworded
17
18 - When requesting keywording/stabilization, automatically determined
19 what all the consequences are and what else needs to be keyworded to
20 satisfy it
21
22 - Allowed a simple "Add keyword(s) <y..> for package <x>" interface,
23 that intelligently created an issue and a target list, and then once
24 the list was built, constantly ensured the list to be valid, or
25 determined automatically when sub-work was completed and reducing the
26 published list automatically, and then responded to potential issues
27 based on changes in git, ( as opposed to being only triggered when
28 the bug was touched )
29
30 Most of the "pain" and legwork required by maintainers would go away.
31
32 As it is, I feel a lot of us are reproducing a lot of logic that is
33 rather routine and could be automated.
34
35 But the overall idea here is to orient the point of keyword-requests in
36 some way to focus on the primary objective, where the developer
37 indicates their intent, and the system's job is to facilitate that
38 intent coming to fruition, pointing out problems on its own.
39
40 ( I have somewhat hacked together some perl scripts for myself for some
41 of these tasks, but the command-line interface is not ideal for this
42 workflow, and the code is not in a condition I can share it, and I
43 don't think perl is the right language to address this problem with )