From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:36:20
1 On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:08 -0500, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Yeah, see, this is a case where not understanding the structure of
8 > > Gentoo gives you the wrong impression. The GDP's policy applies to the
9 > > GDP. That is not a global developer policy of any kind. It is a policy
10 > > by a project, for that project.
11 > >
12 > > If I were, for example, to write up a nice guide for something on the
13 > > games team and do it all in ASCII art, that policy has no bearing on
14 > > what I do. If I were to write something for the GDP, then it would.
15 > >
16 > > At any rate, that has *zero* bearing on whether or not our update
17 > > information needs to be written in GuideXML, so there's no point in
18 > > arguing it with you.
21 > So you're saying that Gentoo consists of projects that are completely
22 > 'silo'd up' and have no bearing whatsoever on each other. Then the
23 > DevRel project only has bearing on those who actually join DevRel. Neat,
24 > a group formed for the sole purpose of coordinating itself. Security
25 > need only concern itself with securing its members (from who knows
26 > what!), and infra can just ignore the needs of everyone else (different
27 > project!). I wonder how any of the other projects *ever* made it onto
28 > the website...
29
30 Yet more proof that you don't understand what you are talking
31 about...not meant to be insulting just stating that you don't. Just
32 because some groups (DevRel, Infra, etc.) have farther reaching tendrils
33 doesn't mean that every group does.
34
35 For example, each arch team has a slightly different way to go about
36 allowing package maintainers to keyword their own packages on a given
37 arch...some teams insist that the maintainer join the arch team...some
38 allow for special arrangements (they all follow the same basic
39 guidelines).
40
41 With documentation there are actually 2 different types, those bits that
42 fall under the GDP and those that fall under the herd that uses them.
43 Take Chris' games example, the games team is free to release an FAQ in
44 plain text in Pig Latin if they want to, so long as it is on their own
45 project page. The GDP policy -only- covers the GDP...not anyone else, so
46 if Chris wanted to move his plain text Pig Latin doc to the official
47 Docs repository he would have to make an English version and make it
48 GuideXML. That's it plain and simple.
49
50 > The errata.g.o (not the summaries w/ link that emerge would output)
51 > would obviously be documentation, would obviously be governed by the Doc
52 > rules, and it would be irrelevant which staff member happened to publish
53 > a particular guide. If Gentoo really is as balkanized as you state, then
54 > it is a sad state of affairs indeed. Maybe the 'full fledged' versions
55 > should be GuideXML-lite or something, I'm not sure, but your argument is
56 > just silly.
57
58 Another thing you seem to be missing is that the GLEP specifically
59 separates the news from the documentation. The news or errata is just a
60 plain text *short* summary that something needs to be attended to. It
61 can, but does not always have to, link to further more detailed
62 *documentation*. Note then that what would go up on errata.g.o in this
63 case would be the *summary* (which would not necessarily be governed by
64 the GDP or it's policies) and *not* the full documentation. Said summary
65 would contain links to any relevant *documentation* which would then be
66 governed by the GDP if said documentation was in fact Gentoo created and
67 in the official Docs repository.
70 Daniel Ostrow
71 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
72 Gentoo/{PPC,PPC64,DevRel}