From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: turning off grub2 multislot use flag
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 17:39:39
1 All,
2
3 I have spoken with floppym about this (he is the primary maintainer of
4 grub2), and he told me to go for it if I want to take on the project, so
5 I want some thoughts.
6
7 Currently, grub2 defaults, with the multislot use flag on, to renaming
8 things away from upstream -- for example, grub2-install vs grub-install.
9
10 With the multislot use flag off, grub2 doesn't mess with the binary
11 names; it leaves them the way upstream names them.
12
13 I feel that new installs don't need multislot since they won't be
14 migrating from grub legasy, so I want to turn the multislot flag off in
15 the grub2 ebuilds.
16
17 This would be done along with publishing a news item explaining that if
18 you want to keep the multislot names, you should add
19 "sys-boot/grub multislot" to /etc/portage/package.use.
20
21 So, again, this would affect new installs, but users can stop it from
22 happening on their systems if they want to do so.
23
24 Thoughts?
25
26 William