From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] [POLICY] Keywording/Stabilizing Bug Assignment Policy
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:28:23
1 On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:50 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
2 > It would be cool to implement a keywording@g.o alias just to
3 > assign those bugs to so that we maintainers do not need to see them.
4
5 While you may not find them useful, there have been 3 recent occasions
6 of user requesting things get keyworded that I maintained on
7 architectures where the packages didn't work. I don't know what these
8 users did, but on all three occasions, I managed to step in and stop
9 breakage from hitting the tree *because* I was in the chain of
10 assignment/CC.
11
12 I see no problem with some fake alias for keywording, provided the
13 maintainers were still contacted first to allow them to say whether a
14 package is indeed ready for stabilization. Remember, not all
15 stabilization/keywording bugs come from other developers/maintainers.
16
17 > > Once the last remaining arch has completed the bug, it is up to them to
18 > > close it. They know it's up to them to close it since the bug is
19 > > assigned directly to them.
20 >
21 > In my opinion the last architecture should also remove the old ebuild
22 > they have just made obsolete by stabling/keywording the new version,
23 > since they commit to the directory anyway.
24
25 This only works on cases where the older ebuild isn't in another SLOT
26 and nothing else requires it. Yes, it *should* be cool to do this, but
27 I think cleaning up packages/ebuilds is something best left to the
28 maintainer. You're always welcome to say something along the lines of
29 "last architecture to stable, please remove $ebuild when you're done" on
30 the bugs in question.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation