From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 10:35:44
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 10:11:23PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 >
3 >Nice to meet you :)
4
5 Thanks!
8 >> >Did you extract the tarball using the "p" option? -->
9
10 Well this time I did, and still multilog is whining. It's gonna irritate me
11 untill I fix it, I rebooted into my running system as I need to copy my
12 modules for my kernel (LVM and GFS modules needed to mount my former root
13 partition so I can get to the iso of gentoo to mount it with the loop device
14 :-)
15
16 I love this stuff.
19 >> Doh! Ooops.
20 >
21 >daemontools is very picky about directory permissions, so that's why your syslog
22 >was fried. It's easy to forget the "p" option since it's normally not used when
23 >extracting your typical source tarball.
24
25 Well, I did use the p option this time so I'm assuming something happend
26 before I untarred it.
27
28 >Unfortunately, I don't think you have "vi" at this point. Try grabbing the
29 >portage tree from your non-chrooted system, and then copy it to /usr/portage
30 >under your chrooted system. Then, add the CFLAGS that you want to
31 >/etc/make.conf and then one quick hack -- copy wget from your real system to
32 >/usr/bin on your Gentoo Linux system. We forgot to add that to build.tbz2.
33 >Then, create the /etc/resolv.conf and hosts files, and wget should then be
34 >able to download from the chrooted environment. At this point, Portage is
35 >ready for use.
36
37 I have vim actually. I do need to get the kernel recompiled with reiserfs
41 >You're ready to merge gcc, binutils, flex and all that good stuff (look for
42 >Achim's previous email for what needs to be remerged). Use the emerge program:
43 >
44 ># emerge foo-1.0.ebuild
45 >
46 >To see what *would* be merged (without actually merging), use the --pretend option:
47
48 can I take all this stuff off the iso I downloaded?
52 ># emerge --pretend foo-1.0.ebuild
53 >
54 >After merging the essentials (gcc, binutils, flex), make sure you merge the new
55 >1.5 version of Portage in sys-apps.
56 >
57 >Then, to install all essential packages on your system, type:
58 >
59 ># emerge system
60 >
61 >This will cause everything in /usr/portage/sys-* to be merged automatically -- and
62 >in the proper order. Nearly everything (if not everything) should compile cleanly,
63 >though you may have a few problems since Achim is in the middle of upgrading to a
64 >new readline on CVS. Let us know your progress and we'll try to resolve any problems
65 >you have.
66 >
67 >After "emerge system" completes successfully, you should have a complete base Gentoo
68 >Linux system.
71 This is all great stuff to add to the installation guide!
74 >> Well, I rather like the fact that it's mostly hands-on stuff, and if I can get
75 >> the authentication thing straight I can hack the rest of it.
76 >>
77 >> Ports man, I love it. Finally a distro with ports.
78 >
79 >you should be able to simply rename /etc/pam.d/userpadd to useradd, and things should
80 >work.
81 >
82 >Best Regards,
83 >