From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 01:32:22
1 On 14/11/14 03:57, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 11/13/2014 04:27 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >>>> * C++ compiler and runtime
4 >>>
5 >>> Isn't it possible to disable C++ in GCC with USE="-cxx"?
6 >>
7 >> It is, but I think if that's disabled you're on your own. :-)
10 > I keep hearing this sentence, but it still doesn't make much sense to
11 > me. Invalid configurations should be reported as invalid to the user.
12 >
13 > Since I run my own server with USE="-* foo bar" I have come across a lot
14 > of "expect users to not disable it, but don't actually disallow it or
15 > even warn them".
16 >
17 > I've seen a lot of compiler checks in ebuilds in pkg_pretend that look
18 > quite similar. Maybe it's time to enhance toolchain-funcs?
19
20 It definitely would be nice to have some better mechanism for compiler
21 checking in general. Already version checking is quite ugly with
22 boilerplate code everywhere with wrong dependencies like >=gcc-4.7.