From: tneidt@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gdm-2.2.3.2: comments
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:12:10
1 Hi!
2
3 I recently merged gdm-2.2.3.2 and had to do the following to get it running.
4
5 1. rc-update add xdm default
6 The ebuild doesn't have the third required argument, "default", for rc-update
7 in the pkg_postinst()
8
9 2. I also had to create the directory /var/lib/gdm with owner.group gdm.gdm
10 and permissions 750.
11
12 After these changes gdm starts up fine. One problem remains. gnome-terminal
13 refuses to open with an error about checking unix98 ptys. Note everything
14 gnome and specifically gnome-terminal was working perfectly when I was using
15 startx from the command-line prior to merging gdm. Also, I can start up a
16 regular xterm fine although it doesn't read my .bashrc file.
17
18 >From the gnome-users faq:
19 Q: Everything else works, but I get a message about Unix98 ptys when trying to
20 start gnome-terminal.
21
22 A: Two possible answers here, both applicable to Linux kernel issues.
25 It is (remotely) possible that you are trying to install binaries for a newer
26 version of your distribution on an old machine, where "old" means "running a
27 2.0 Linux kernel and a similarly old glibc". This won't work. If you have Red
28 Hat 5.2, for example, you need to find or build rpms for that and not to try to
29 install rpms for 6.2. This applies similarly to SuSE.
30
31 It is more likely to be problems with the permissions of the files which
32 involve ptys. In particular, check the permissions of /dev/ptmx. They should be
33 666 (or crw-rw-rw when you do ls -l /dev/ptmx). If they aren't, change it with
34 chmod 666 /dev/ptmx (as root). You will find more about this
35 in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/general/Changes.
36
37 However, neither of these solutions appear to be applicable.
38
39 tod
44 Sent using Fidelity Networks, Inc. Mailman.
45 http://www.fidnet.com/