From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-libs/confuse: confuse-2.7.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 13:17:39
1 On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 >
3 > To me it's obvious that he did it because it made something easier
4 > for him. By breaking the Gentoo rule he got something done.
5
6 Rules exist for a reason. If we're bending them because we're
7 accomplishing the goal of the rules in a better way that makes sense.
8 If we're just breaking them because following them is inconvenient
9 then we're causing harm.
10
11 The purpose of the 30-day rule is so that stable is, well, stable.
12 Stable doesn't mean "I think this should work." Stable means that it
13 has been tested and found to work - a time delay is almost essential
14 to the definition of "stability."
15
16 There is room for an exception if there is some serious problem in
17 stable and the risk of causing harm is low compared to the pain
18 already being felt. Security bugs usually involve breaking the 30-day
19 rule, for example. In these cases the spirit of the rule is contrary
20 to the letter of the rule, and we rightly violate the letter as a
21 result.
22
23 There is no harm in pointing out that a rule was broken. If there is
24 a good reason it will be produced and everybody will nod, and if not,
25 well, then hopefully there will be an apology and we'll just move on.
26 Neither blacklisting nor banishment are the right first response to a
27 minor offense, but devs have been booted for consistently violating
28 rules like the 30 day rule, and I would expect mentors and recruiters
29 to ensure that new recruits understand and intend to follow this rule.
30 Anybody who runs a stable system is better off for it.
31
32 Countless threads on -dev (mail or irc) amount to "I'd like to violate
33 this rule for a good reason." There is some debate, and we either do
34 it or not. Rules aren't intended to prevent progress, but quality is
35 important and if a rule is standing in your way there might be some
36 side of the problem that you're not seeing. It never hurts to ask
37 before breaking a rule.
38
39 Rich