From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:41:36
1 On 03/14/12 17:04, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 07:57:52PM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
3 >> Would anyone else like to continue with their own favourite
4 >> separate-/usr reason?
5 >
6 > Haveing a separate /usr is wonderful, and once we finish moving /sbin/
7 > and /bin/ into /usr/ it makes even more sense. See the /usr page at
8 > fedora for all of the great reasons why this is good.
9 >
10 > What doesn't make sense is people who do that, refusing to use an initrd
11 > or initramfs to make the whole thing work properly.
12 >
13 > It's as if people want the benefits, yet fail to want to actually use
14 > the tools required to get those benefits. It makes no sense, and if
15 > anyone continues to complain, it shows a lack of understanding.
16 >
17 > greg k-h
20 Is this that page?
21
22 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
23
24 That refers to the systemd website on freedesktop.org.
25
26 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
27
28 Reading that, it seems to me that this /usr move was caused by a
29 systemd-specific decision that rootfs should be both system-specific and
30 located on the particular system while /usr should be network mountable.
31 However, I see no argument for why that should be the case.
32
33 Thinking about it, I suppose this would make sense in an enterprise
34 setting where everything is diskless. If you PXE boot, put rootfs on
35 iSCSI and have /usr on a NFS mount, this would work very well. Claiming
36 that people show a lack of understanding when you never explain this,
37 however, is definitely the wrong thing to do.
38
39 With that said, I have a few questions:
40
41 1. Why does no one mention the enterprise use case at all?
42 2. Why not make rootfs a NFS mount with a unionfs at the SAN/NAS device?
43 3. Why not let the users choose where these directories go and support
44 both locations?