From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Kernel-Modules
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 21:43:33
1 Hi again,
2
3 Currently the script /etc/rc.d/config/modules automatically generates
4 modules.conf
5 on startup as /etc/modules/{kernelversion} if that file does not exist.
6 If /etc/modules/{kernelversion} is newer than /etc/modules.conf it
7 copies /etc/modules/{kernelversion} to
8 /etc/modules.conf and only in this case it runs depmod -a.
9 I'm not sure why but it sometimes fails. Another bad thing about that is
10 that it overwrites /etc/modules.conf
11
12 I give you a short information how we want to handle module
13 configuration in the future.
14
15 On each boot /etc/modules/{kernelversion} get generated.
16 Then the script scans /etc/modules for files that match modules.*.
17 Then it generates /etc/modules.conf from {kernelversion} and adds the
18 /etc/modules/modules.* files to modules.conf
19 depmod -a runs every time.
20 The modules.* files in /etc/moules can include preprocessor commands
21 like
22
23 #IfModule ppp.o
24 <definitions here>
25 #EndIfModule
26
27 So you can configure your modules dependend on the existance of a
28 module.
29 Something similar is planned for /etc/modules.devfs
30
31 You should use /etc/modules/modules.conf for your private declarations.
32
33 With this method we can add modules configurations from other packages.
34 For example pppd requires some special aliases that could be added
35 automatic this way.
36
37 Additionally I will add a script that regenerates /etc/modules.conf in
38 the way described above and runs depmod -a
39 after that.
40 This script can be used from the commandline or from within packages
41 pkg_postinst functions.
42
43 This way of handling should make it in rc4.
44
45 Sould we make this method triggerable by a line in
46 /etc/rc.d/config/basic ?
47
48 MODULES_CONF="yes" <-> MODULES_CONF="no"
49
50 Comments please
51
52 achim~