From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:35:34
1 On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 Igor wrote:
2 > I've been using C/C++ since school it's fast, even bad code is working fast.
3 >
4 > I WOULD NEVER BELIVE PYTHON IS AS FAST AS C++ with math algorithms
5 > that do calculate staff and not call functions from pre-complied
6 > objects written in C/C++.
7
8 I would never believe it til I first saw pkgcore in action 5 or 6 years ago.
9 There's no point criticising portage, since everyone knows it's a pig of a
10 project, that's never had a rewrite: which is why its lead developer stepped
11 back and wrote pkgcore. And sure, most of its speed comes from using an
12 optimised C backend: snakeoil.
13
14 I'm assuming you have a Gentoo box and can use eix or equery to find these.
15 If not, you need to reconsider what you're doing. I'm also assuming you are
16 going to try pkgcore so you are better-informed, even if its latest
17 incarnation is not ready for mass-release; after all you're a developer,
18 so can deal with that, right?
19