From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed future EAPI feature: FILES whitelist
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:04:32
1 On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 08:44:33 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Obviously they could be identified by their explicit ${FILESDIR}.
5
6 My question is because I've had a difficulty understanding how repoman
7 "sees" the ebuild.
8
9 I was under the impression repoman would either have to rely on people to be good
10 programmers and not do tricks like ${FILESDIR}/${MY_PN}-${PATCHLEVEL}.patch
11
12 ( so that it could verify the part after the explicit filesdir variable
13 ), or it would have to source the ebuild and expand variable
14 interpolations, and have some way of knowing *postinterpolation* what
15 the variables expanded to.
16
17 Given I think programmers *should* be allowed to use variables other
18 than "${FILESDIR}" in $PATCHES, it seems only reasonable that repoman
19 would need a post-interpolation way of checking they're all accounted
20 for.
21
22 Partly, because a certain usecase that would be good to guard against
23 is $PATCHES contains ${PV}, and the ebuild is bumped, and nobody
24 notices there is a patch that also needs bumping to keep that working.
25
26 Ideally committers should detect this when they compile their package
27 and the package explodes in src_prepare, but we do have a few cases
28 where people skip that stage and there's no safeguard, and autorepoman
29 can't even warn anyone that's happened as it doesn't poke into $PATCHES
30
31 ( at least, irrc )