From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parallizing ebuilds - 'trivial' ebuilds
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:17:58
1 On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 11:23 +0200, Philippe Trottier wrote:
2 > Make this distributed tool for tar zip bzip2 and gzip and I'm in, I don't think
3 > it would be useful with anything else than Gigabit Ethernet.
4
5 app-arch/pbzip2
6
7 It covers only bzip2, but proves that it can be done. I tend to like it
8 for catalyst, since it helps a lot on SMP machines.
9
10 > We might want to have in the make.conf 2 separate variables, one of them saying
11 > how many threads can be run on the machine, then How many threads/process across
12 > a cluster.
13 >
14 > For example, my Dual Xeon EM64T file server can do make -j4 locally, like in
15 > make install, make docs etc etc, But for compiling I can use -j20, really not
16 > useful over -j8 anyway. But the point is, it would be usefully to separate the
17 > load distribution on the local machine and cluster nodes.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
22 x86 Architecture Team
23 Games - Developer