From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Changes to EAPI ban workflow
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 01:11:44
1 On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 10:54:45PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > The Council has eventually decided that the proposed agenda item
5 > changing the EAPI workflow has not received sufficient public
6 > discussion, so I'd like to restart it.
9 > 3. When all ebuilds are removed, the EAPI is added to eapis-banned
10 > and the tools now explicitly forbid adding ebuilds with that EAPI.
13 > The change proposed in [1] eliminates step 2. The EAPI remains
14 > in 'deprecated' policy-state until all ebuilds using it are removed.
15 > There is no distinction between 'weak' deprecation ("please don't use
16 > it") and 'strong' ban ("you mustn't use it unless you have a very good
17 > reason to").
20 There seems to be a lot of time spent on whether to take 1 minute
21 to officialy ban an EAPI in a meeting. Plots are cool, but nothing
22 statistically significant is going to show given the small issues we had
23 in the past. The formality is simply to keep those small issues from
24 being a headache to other devs.
25
26 Just officially ban it, send out a message, and use the best judgement
27 when enforcing it (should it even need to be enforced).
28
29 -Aaron