From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Abusing RESTRICT={no,}userpriv (was [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:56:36
1 Ciaran pointed out that there are "a small number of occasions where it
2 [the userpriv FEATURE] really does need to be disabled". I consequently
3 decided to see what these legitimate reasons are but it appears that
4 RESTRICT=userpriv is not needed in a lot of cases.
5
6 Here is a list of all packages that currently have RESTRICT=userpriv or
7 RESTRICT=nouserpriv (no idea why there are both). I also added a comment
8 regarding the use of the RESTRICT but it would be nice if those in charge
9 of a package could comment as well.
10
11 # no idea about the following three, input appreciated
12 app-admin/gps
13 media-gfx/maya
14 app-laptop/tp_smapi
15
16 # emerged OK without the restrict, no idea if it works
17 dev-db/firebird
18
19 # No idea why, it's just a kernel module and should work fine (can't
20 # test at the moment)
21 net-dialup/ltmodem
22
23 # seem fine even without the RESTRICT
24 mail-filter/qmail-scanner
25 net-misc/quagga
26
27 # only older ebuilds have the restrict so these are probably OK
28 sys-apps/mindi
29 sys-apps/mindi-kernel
30
31 # "because the vpopmail lib directory is locked down and non-root can't
32 # access them" says a comment in the ebuild. I don't know why but with a
33 # clean install of vpopmail the lib directory is not "locked down". Did
34 # something change down the road?
35 net-mail/qmailadmin
36
37 # I figure it's the same reason as above?
38 net-libs/courier-authlib
39 net-mail/courier-imap
40
41 # Bug 161765
42 net-mail/vpopmail
43
44 # These are games... no idea why, input appreciated
45 games-board/ggz-txt-client
46 games-board/ggz-sdl-games
47 games-board/ggz-gtk-games
48 games-board/ggz-kde-games
49 games-board/gnuchess-book
50 games-board/ggz-kde-client
51 games-board/ggz-gtk-client
52 games-util/emilia-pinedit
53 games-fps/quakeforge
54 games-rpg/wastesedge
57 (* Georgi Georgiev (* If life is merely a joke, the question (*
58 *) chutz@×××.net *) still remains: for whose amusement? *)
59 (* http://www.gg3.net/ (* (*