From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:09:24
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Anyway, the commit is gone, which is good, thank you for deleting the
3 > branch. Please be more careful about doing such things in the future.
4 > We really don't want to get the Foundation in trouble by doing this type
5 > of thing.
6
7 Honestly, much of this whole thread really seems too much like prior
8 restraint for my taste.
9
10 Should devs be able to start controversial projects without
11 permission? Should devs be able to modify copyright lines in a branch
12 of a repository? And so on...
13
14 I don't think we should be yelling at people for what amounts to
15 talking about things, or mocking things up. If somebody wrote a bot
16 to go changing things in the portage tree I'd be concerned, but
17 getting worked up about things that end up in repositories for all of
18 a day or two is over-reaction.
19
20 That said, I don't want to turn away those who have concerns either.
21 If somebody thinks that something illegal is being done by all means
22 speak up. However, the solution is to not go into panic mode, but to
23 step back, evaluate the situation, and then make the right decision.
24
25 Rich