From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: openrc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 06:33:10
1 >>>>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Austin English wrote:
2
3 > Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
4 > supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I
5 > can tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init
6 > systems. I.e., Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via
7 > init-system-helpers CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via
8 > initscripts OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd
9 > (according to #suse)
10
11 There is "eselect rc" which could be easily extended to support
12 systemd. Patches are welcome. :)
13
14 > I'd like to propose moving `service` out of OpenRC and into a
15 > separate package that OpenRC and systemd can both use. It's very
16 > possible that we could simply package/use another distro's scripts
17 > (I haven't evaluated that though).
18
19 Creating yet another tool for this makes absolutely no sense, IMHO.
20
21 Ulrich