From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>
Cc: aalmenar@×××××××××.com, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removing Deps
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:42:41
1 On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:29, Christian Skarby wrote:
2 > >> I need to remove them one by one ???
3 >
4 > I think you'll have to do that. As far as i know (AFAIK) there is no tool
5 > calculating all packages and sorting out those dependies not used by other
6 > ebuilds, I think such a tool could only be used on a system that uses
7 > portage and portage only to install packages. On the other hand I could be
8 > wrong and thus there might exist something doing what you're looking for.
9
10 Egads! ;) I suppose that Debian is the same and so is Redhat.
11
12 But this kinda feature would set Portage even further apart.
13
14 Perhaps a dependency counter could be applied to each package (stored in a
15 table?) and, when unmerging a package, portage could lower the dep count on
16 the dependecies of that package.
17
18 If the reference counter drops to zero, and the user supplied "--removedeps",
19 then emerge could unmerge them too.
20
21 emerge --listzerodeps might give one a list of packages that have a 0 counter.
22
23 emerge --zerodeps unmerge might remove all packages that have nothing that
24 depends on them.
25
26 Perhaps an environment variable could be set in make.conf or something to say:
27
28 AUTOUNMERGERZERODEP=1 # auto remove packages that aren't depended on
29
30 ... or something ;)
31
32 > > # emerge unmerge evolution
33 >
34 > Actually emerge unmerge evulution is equal to emerge -C evolution
35 > # emerge --help
36 > <snip>
37 > unmerge (-C short option)
38 > </snip>
39
40 My bad. Some of the syntax of emerge is "zany" to say the least. ;)
41
42 THanks.
43
44 Evan.