From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 17:09:38
1 On 2020-02-14 16:38, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > Could you just explain please? I’m not inclined to read through the
3 > handbook and rebuild a system to guess what this horrible breakage might
4 > be.
5
6 My point is, that even the handbook tells user to modify groups. I.e.
7 you should add your user to group X for being able to do Y...
8
9 That's OK. That's normal.
10
11 But if everything in Gentoo has migrated to acct-* stuff, these changes
12 will get reverted once the user will re-emerge world including acct-*
13 package or such a package will get updated for some reason.
14
15 This is unexpected. Also, I hope nobody expects that every user using
16 sudo for example needs to maintain an own acct-*/sudo fork in his/her
17 overlay in future just because in Gentoo, you cannot use normal Linux
18 tools like usermod anymore because your changes might get resetted
19 during some upgrade.
20
21 That's what currently might happen with the current implementation which
22 tries to keep user/group state like described in package. Something you
23 will only see in Gentoo and no other distribution.
27 Regards,
28 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
29 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5