From: Patrick Dawson <pkdawson@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dependences
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:12:54
1 > "Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix"
2 > If this goes any serious place, I'd suggest reading up a bit more of
3 > Unix/Linux history. As it stands now there is no paticular OS called Unix,
4 > there was a lot of fuss and a lawsuit involving the use of "Unix" and
5 > everybody for the most part was trying to avoid that name. Plus "clone" is
6 > soundng too strong, (such wording) may even suggest similarity to the point
7 > of binary compatibility (contrary to how dissimilar many of "proprietary
8 > unices" are).
9
10 I agree, but to be fair, that's how it's described in the official readme:
11 "Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with
12 assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net."
13
14 ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/README
15
16 ~ Patrick Dawson
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list