From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] merging two packages - upgrade path?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:40:38
1 * Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > This post is about how to create a nice upgrade path when merging two
6 > packages.
7 > The packages I care about are media-plugins/vdr-streamdev-{client,server},
8 > that we wanted to merge into one media-plugins/vdr-streamdev package.
9
10 please, please, don't do at it all.
11
12 Server vs. clients things should really be separated, and if there's
13 shared code between them (eg. proto headers), it should belong to
14 another package. We've already got enough blowed-up, fat packages.
15
16 Same with the -client / -server useflags: they're just a work around
17 for certain upstream's crap design - if they really understood the
18 concept named "client-server-model", we'd have clean lines and wouldn't
19 need this at all.
20
21 Actually, I didn't check whether the upstream did this mixup or just
22 you, so I won't accuse you for that ;P. If it's the upstream's fault,
23 please try to stop them.
24
25 Yes, I know Gentoo's policy is to stay as near to upstream as
26 possible, but there should be a limit. Upstream quality can range
27 widely, from excellent to crap. Please try to keep the overall
28 quality as high as possible and leave out the crap.
31 cu
32 --
34 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
36 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
37 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
38 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
39 http://patches.metux.de/
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list