From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:36:29
1 On 20-04-2007 09:11:10 -0500, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:
2 > On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:52:46 +0200
3 > Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Is the info you need in CVS/ ?
5 > >
6 > > That requires:
7 > > a) an up-to-date CVS tree checkout
8 > > b) a CVS tree (not a regular rsynced one)
9 > > c) parsing of the CVS/Entries file
10 > >
11 > > So in principle, yes I think it can be done using the CVS directory,
12 > > but I prefer not to.
13 >
14 > +1 on this one.
15 >
16 > I am writing some script to automate package building and use the
17 > Header field to detect CVS revision changes. I know I could do it with
18 > hash values, but then it would be harder to have builds from
19 > different revisions of the same ebuild file time ordered.
20
21 I thought about it some longer, and it's even nastier than just having
22 to get the value in a different way, because you also have to keep the
23 value in the file in your "local" version. This either means also
24 storing the CVS directory (in SVN, funny :) ) or devoting the first line
25 of every file for it...
26
27 Side question: is it a problem that you cannot easily see which (CVS)
28 version of an ebuild is in the rsync tree you/user have/has? I guess
29 that's what the $Header: $ thing is actually for. I can't recall any
30 occasion myself that I used it to track an issue with it though.
34 Fabian Groffen
35 Gentoo on a different level
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list