From: Sam Jorna <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing PMS to Portage Manager Specification
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2017 23:20:07
1 On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 06:05:00PM -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > I think Gentoo council, developers, and portage developers should
3 > consider changing the PMS, to something like Portage Manager
4 > Specification, or Gentoo Portage Specification. Make it Gentoo
5 > and portage specific, and others adhere to that standard.
6
7 If you have a look at the Package Manager Specification project page[1]
8 it notes that this is how it worked previously and was decided against.
9
10 Personally, given that Gentoo is a meta-distribution, it makes more
11 sense to me to have an independent specification for things like this
12 and have the "default" package manager essentially be the reference
13 implementation of the specification. If there's a better way to do
14 something than what is defined in PMS, then perhaps suggest an update to
15 it.
16
17 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Package_Manager_Specification
20 Sam Jorna (wraeth)