From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New portage-9999 plugin-sync system
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 06:12:19
1 For those people running portage-9999. I've now merged the new
2 plugin-sync system into the master branch. I've just added the
3 following einfo block to the 9999.ebuild. I will be preparing
4 a news item for review soon. We will be extending some of the modules
5 options, adding more capabilities such as git branch and depth options.
6
7 Also in this new sync system, is a new portage native postsync hook
8 system. It extends the hooks capabilities. I will send another email
9 detailing those. We are making a few more adjustments to it for better
10 backwards compatibility.
11
12 Additionally Devan <twitch153> has created a layman plugin-sync module
13 as part his GSOC project, so emerge/emaint will be able to perform
14 sync operations on layman installed overlays as well. layman-9999 will
15 be getting that plugin install capability soon.
16
17 Currently all available sync modules are installed. The ebuild(s) will
18 be getting additional use flags to control which modules will be
19 installed once ready.
20
21 Please read over the einfo messages so that you can help those people
22 that ignored them when they upgraded portage. There can also be cases
23 where the pre-einfo'd ebuild upgraded portage-9999 and consequently
24 they did not get the enifo messages. In that case, their next emerge
25 --sync will do nothing. They will need to set the auto-sync option in
26 their repos.conf/gentoo.conf file. The new emaint sync module is
27 capable of syncing any repo, regardless of the auto-sync setting.
32 pkg_postinst() {
33 einfo "This version of portage now has the new plugin-sync system"
34 einfo "An additional 'auto-sync = yes' setting is needed for each repo"
35 einfo "you wish 'emerge --sync' to sync"
36 einfo "The default setting is 'no'"
37 einfo "The primary sync action is now controlled via the emaint command"
38 einfo "The emaint sync module is more flexible in its capabilities"
39 einfo "It is similar to layman's -s and -S options"
40 einfo ""
41 einfo " 'emerge --sync' is now equivalent to 'emaint sync -a'"
42 einfo ""
43 einfo "run 'emaint sync --auto' to sync all auto-sync enabled repos"
44 einfo " options are:"
45 einfo " -A, --allrepos Sync all repos that have a sync-url defined"
46 einfo " -a, --auto Sync auto-sync enabled repos only"
47 einfo " -r REPO, --repo REPO Sync the specified repo"
48 einfo " even if 'auto-sync = no' is set"
49 einfo ""
50 einfo "Currently installed sync-type modules include:"
51 einfo " rsync, git, cvs, svn, websync"
52 einfo " the websync module currently runs emerge-webrsync for you"
53 einfo ""
54 einfo "For sync module specifications: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Sync"
55 einfo ""
56 }