From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] IMPORTANT: The proposal for the metadata.xml file
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:33:57
1 Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:48:30PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > Content-Description: signed data
4 > Content-Description: body text
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 >>- The changelog. This probably will be a topic of debate. Initial
9 >> implementation is not necessary for the herds system to function. The
10 >> current changelog format though has some problems as the confusion about the
11 >> format some months ago showed. With including the changelog into XML many of
12 >> those issues could be resolved. It also would offer possibilities like
13 >> querying user contributions or things like that.
14 >>
15 >> If it is decided to include the changelog into the metadata.xml file,
16 >> echangelog should be changed accordingly. We further need a conversion tool
17 >> in both directions. That should not be too difficult though.
21 > I am not in favor of XML changelogs. I enjoy being able to easily read a
22 > changelog without the help of external tools; I believe it is much more
23 > convienent to have plaintext changelogs.
24 >
25 > --
26 > Jon Portnoy
27 > avenj/irc.freenode.net
30 I prefer plaintext changelogs. Maybe we can have both and make repoman
31 parse plaintext files during commits and portage convert back from xml
32 on request.
35 Luca Barbato
36 Developer
37 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~lu_zero