From: Martin Schipany <elcondor+gentoo@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:58:18
1 Hi!
2
3 I've been using gentoo exclusively for over 2 years, and saw the number
4 of USE-flags growing up to about 530 today. It is becoming more and more
5 difficult to find the important and/or interesting ones.
6
7 IMHO it would make sense to group them, for example a group "Local
8 Flags" would be fine (especially on server where you don't need them),
9 or "Hardware related" for supporting special features in this case.
10
11 I know this is very rather "blurry" approach, but in the next months
12 with upcoming packages the useflaglist will grow up to a thousand
13 perhaps .. even more? And checking these takes a lot of time.
14
15 an additional idea for ufed: maybe a "text area" with more lines or even
16 a scrolling option would be fine for the explanation of the flags.
17 currently 180 char wide terminal is needed to be able to read the
18 longest one - and thinking of setting up a server with 80x25 I have to
19 guess what flags to take ..
20
21 Just my 2¢
22