From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Closing bugs
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:23:00
1 On 09/11/2010 03:04 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Or does the problem only occur if you mix keywords and ignore
3 > dependencies?
6 I think that if a package doesn't work in a mixed environment, that
7 points to a likely dependency problem. Sooner or later there is a good
8 chance it will bite somebody.
9
10 Personally, I try to keep package dependencies correct. If a package in
11 unstable needs a library version in unstable, I depend on that version -
12 not on the library itself. Then we won't get burned in six months when
13 I forget all about this or am not around and things start going stable
14 in the wrong order.
15
16 Sure, if the issue is something really exotic maybe we should just say
17 "don't do that," but usually there is a better fix.
18
19 Personally I welcome these kinds of bugs, as they're the easiest way to
20 uncover non-obvious dependency issues that might otherwise make their
21 way into stable. Maybe we can't fix them all, but we ought not to just
22 dismiss them out of hand. I certainly wouldn't want to see the
23 bug-wranglers screening for them, for instance.
24
25 Rich