From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:41:31
1 On Saturday 29 April 2006 19:52, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Jan Kundrát wrote:
3 > > Ryan Phillips wrote:
4 > >> Stable and unstable keywords are a hack on top of a version control
5 > >> system. We wouldn't have them if gentoo used an SCM that supports
6 > >> true branches. There would be no need.
7 > >
8 > > Umm, I'm not an ebuild dev, but how would users mix stable and
9 > > unstable packages in such a case?
10 >
11 > They would probably have to check out two trees. But the two trees
12 > combined would likely be the same size as the single tree now, since a
13 > lot of packages have at least two ebuilds available, one ~arch and one
14 > stable.
15 >
16 > The real showstopper in my mind is that having a single ~arch and a
17 > single stable tree means you can't selectively stable things on
18 > different architectures at different times.
19
20 Agreed, the main advantage of a proper vcs would be that the ancestry
21 between different ebuild versions would be visible. This would make it
22 even possible to merge back working changes from a testing version to a
23 stable version without gambling that it will work.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer