From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="gudev introspection" removal from virtual/udev tomorrow'ish
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:39:03
1 On 25/07/14 11:07, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 07/24/2014 02:22 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> gentoo-x86 has been converted to use virtual/libgudev. big thanks to
4 >> _AxS_ who helped me to
5 >> get it finally done.
6 >>
7 >> that means we will be removing compability USE flags "gudev
8 >> introspection" from virtual/udev
9 >> tomorrow'ish (only waiting for gnome-overlay folks)
10 >>
11 >> run this in your overlay:
12 >>
13 >> $ grep virtual.*udev.*gudev */*/*.ebuild
14 >>
15 >> and convert them to EAPI=5 syntax virtual/libgudev:= but don't do it
16 >> without making sure you don't
17 >> need virtual/libudev:= or virtual/udev (like for udevd, udev.pc for
18 >> udevdir value) as well
19 >>
20 >> the Tracker is:
21 >> http://bugs.gentoo.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=506034&hide_resolved=1
22 >>
23 > What does this mean for users of, say, eudev that needed those flags for
24 > certain things (but don't have GNOME installed)? Will it just be a
25 > removed entry from package.use and a rebuild? I'm on stable so it'll
26 > take a little bit to reach me, but I figured I'd ask on behalf of any
27 > other concerned users.
30 Short answer:
31
32 No impact.
33
34 In case of problems:
35
36 If some package (installed from Portage) is complaining about missing
37 USE flags "gudev"
38 or "introspection" for virtual/udev, it means you need to recompile the
39 package complaining,
40 so the Portage's VDB will get the updated ebuild with the new
41 virtual/libgudev dependency
42 from actual Portage tree
43
44 OR
45
46 If some package (installed from overlay) is complaining about missing
47 USE flags "gudev"
48 or "introspection", you should propably try updating the overlay, if
49 that doesn't help,
50 contact the overlay maintainer, possible uninstall the overlay or fix it
51 yourself
52
53 I hope that answered your question
54