From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 03:12:29
1 Jason A. Donenfeld posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:47:49 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Olivier Crête <tester@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> Also be ready for a merge of /bin and /sbin.. I'm sure most people
6 >> can't even explain the difference between them.
7 >
8 > Whoa hey what why? Who's pushing this forward?
9
10 AFAIK it has been discussed for Fedora/RH, but I think they're doing
11 the / /usr merge first and /usr/bin /usr/sbin (which would then take care
12 of the already merged /bin /sbin) later. I believe they've mostly
13 decided already, but timing, etc, will depend on how the first phase,
14 the / /usr merger, goes, and of course if that turns out to go worse than
15 expected, the second phase could still be called off. But don't bet on
16 it as certainly, people will have already been running their systems that
17 way in ordered to seriously advocate it, so it's likely to mostly just
18 take a couple release cycles to work thru their system and get the corner-
19 case kinks worked out.
24 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman