From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] amd64 and ia64 keywords
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:27:51
1 On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:36:04 -0400
2 Jonathan Smith <smithj@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > ia64 is for itanium, which was
5 > intel's horrid first attempt at a 64-bit successor to x86.
6
7 I wouldn't call Itanium a successor to x86, any more than SPARC was
8 (recall that early Sun boxes were x86). As you mentioned, it's a
9 completely new architecture.
10
11 All those years people have been bashing Intel for the limitations of
12 x86 that have been retained for decades for compatibility
13 reasons (limited register set, nasty CISC, ever-increasing instruction
14 set) - they try to do the design-from-scratch thing and it just gets
15 ignored. AMD jump in and do what Intel had always previously done -
16 extend the existing architecture by bolting on extra stuff - and clean
17 up in the marketplace (or at least, hit Intel hard).
18
19 If you want to call any architecture horrid, I'd suggest x86, which
20 from a programmer's perspective has evolved into a real mess. x86_64
21 alleviates some nastiness (register set is now workable, pc-relative
22 addressing is possible), but adds some more of its own. Of all the
23 processor architectures I've worked with, modern x86 is far and away
24 the muckiest from the point of view of an embedded software engineer.
27 Kevin F. Quinn