From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good place to start?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:29:58
1 "Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:
2
3 > Thanks - I have since found the installation page (quite obvious -
4 > especially since I found the developers page first). I have also noticed
5 > the rc3 has disappeared - soon to be replaced.
6 >
7 > I am wondering about the release criteria. What criteria must be met to
8 > make the 1.0 release, and what is missing as of yet?
9
10 Good question. :-)
11
12 > I am curious because
13 > of the development nature of reiserfs, there are still numerous bugs -
14 > especially related to nfs support.
15
16 Hmm, I'm using reiserfs over a year here (2.2.14/2.5.12 with suse's knfs patch)
17 and I never had corrupted files.
18 It is true that there where lots of bugs in the 3.6 version but there where
19 only several files corrupted sometimes
20 over here. Since 2.4.1-pre8 reiserfs is included in the kernel and the latest
21 ac patch contains good fixes for various
22 latency problems. Of cause the only working journaling fs that can be used with
23 nfs is ext3.
24 I included Neil Browns and Chris Masons nfs/reiserfs patches in the latest
25 kernel package. They are of beta quality
26 but I did not have problems with it (running since 3 days).
27 If reiserfs looks still too dangerous for you, you can still use ext2.
28 But I think reiserfs/nfs will be quite usable in the near future when we
29 release 1.0.
30
31 > I believe grub is alpha as well, but I
32 > have not heard that it is anything but release quality in nature.
33
34 You can still use lilo if you run into trouble with grub. I think it is
35 declared as alpha because the dev's want to
36 add a lot more functionality to it. In my eyes grub is much easier to handle
37 that lilo and I had no problems with it till
38 now.
39
40 achim~
44 > Tom Veldhouse
45 > veldy@×××××.net
46 >
47 > ----- Original Message -----
48 > From: <drobbins@g.o>
49 > To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
50 > Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 11:51 AM
51 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Good place to start?
54 > > The intelligence behind building the entire distribution does reside in
55 > Portage;
56 > > however, we do have an installation CD ISO image that has pre-built binary
57 > > packages. You can download this CD and install Gentoo Linux directly. We
58 > > have instructions (that I'm about to update) posted on the web site.
59 > >
60 > > Best Regards,
61 > >
62 > > --