From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Thomas Kahle <tom111@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild Writing
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:20:05
1 On Monday 21 January 2008, Thomas Kahle wrote:
2 > i'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, if not, please
3 > tell me the right one.
4
5 i dont think there's a mailing list for this stuff, but there is an irc
6 channel (#gentoo-dev-help iirc)
7
8 > I'm trying to write an ebuild for a math software called polymake. It
9 > uses a non-autotools, makefile and perl based configuration mechanism.
10 > This thing will ask questions to the user during the make process.
11 > These questions can be answered using the information from make.conf, so
12 > it should be automated?
13
14 ebuilds should always be automated
15
16 > Now my question is: How to do it in a clean way?
17 > a) Patch the makefile?
18
19 it sounded like you can write the answers into make.conf ahead of time ?
20
21 > b) Use a tool like "expect" to answer the questions?
22
23 yikes, i doubt most people nowadays know what expect is let alone how to use
24 it :)
25
26 you can usually cheat if there is a set # of questions and they'd always be
27 asked in the same order ...
28 ./some-curious-command.sh <<-EOF
29 first answer
30 ${second_answer_from_a_var}