From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please do not stabilize packages for arches you cannot test for
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:40:36
1 On Monday 29 December 2003 05:00, Tom Payne wrote:
2 > I propose:
3 >
4 > An ebuild that is unlikely to cause problems can be MARKED stable on
5 > relevant arches, even if the dev is unable to actually test it.
6 >
7 > An ebuild is only CONSIDERED stable on an arch if it, and all its
8 > dependencies, are marked stable on that arch.
9 >
10 > New problems:
11 >
12 > Might result in broken software being installed.
15 As you might know we are trying to improve the quality of the tree. A policy
16 like this one is not beneficiarry to that. Further I have the strong feeling
17 that this is the kind of policy that will get blurry boundaries. In other
18 words I think it will not work.
19
20 > Feedback please. I advocate this approach for 'minor' packages, i.e.
21 > nothing fundamental to the working of the system. It's more suitable for
22 > scripting language libraries and minor applications (e.g. obscure window
23 > managers).
24
25 A more appropriate option would be to allow users to test packages that have
26 not been marked as broken on their arg and then have a policy that if at
27 least two users have reported a package as stable, and an arch dev can
28 compile it it will be marked testing, and stable if it has no problems within
29 a reasonable time period.
30
31 Paul
34 Paul de Vrieze