From: Grant Goodyear <goodyea@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] writing ebuild scripts
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:16:39
1 > - What is the best way to determine dependencies for a file, and how
2 > important is it to have minimum version info for dependencies? Unless I
3 > find any info in the docs, would common sense and a quick peek at
4 > configure-scripts/makefiles ot the source suffice?
5
6 Minimum version info is nice, whenever you can find it. As for finding
7 dependencies, ldd is your friend.
8
9 > - What is the best way to install built files? Using make install or
10 > using the dobin/doman/whatever scripts? ...which brings me on to the
11 > next question ;
12
13 By all means, if "make install" can be hacked to install into our
14 temporary installation directory, then use it. Please do your checking
15 with our "sandbox" turned on (in /etc/make.conf). The sandbox feature
16 ensures that attempts to write outside ${D} are automatically caught.
17
18 > - Is there any database over what files belong to what package?
19
20 As karltk mentioned, /var/db/pkg has lots of info.
21
22 > - Do you have any policies for testing? Is it enough that I test the
23 > package on my own system, or should I have a clean installation (via
24 > chroot, usermode linux, dualboot or whatever) I can use for testing?
25
26 It it's working on your system (sandboxed), then please post it on
27 bugzilla. It may be a while before we get to it (we're in a new-ebuild
28 freeze until 1.0), but at least then it will be available to others to
29 test.
32 Best,
33 g2boojum
34 --
36 | Grant Goodyear | The Secrets of Physics: |
37 | Dept. of Chemistry - Clemson U |1. Add zero. |
38 | Clemson, SC 29634 |2. Multiply by one. |
39 |-------------------------------------|3. Expand in a Taylor series|
40 |e-mail: goodyea@×××××××.edu |4. Integrate by parts. |
41 |www:http://g2.ces.clemson.edu/~grant |5. Fourier transform. |
42 | |6. Add auxiliary variables |