From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74: Full-tree verification using Manifest files
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:54:20
1 On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 07:47:41PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 ...
3 > > If users need other values, it's a package-manager config knob.
4 >
5 > We don't want pre-EAPI times where things will fail out of the box
6 > unless the user choose the one tool that got the whole list right
7 > and/or configure it to account for default list.
8 >
9 > I don't mind package manager providing the ability to ignore additional
10 > entries but the spec should work out of the box too.
11 Ok, can we have a minor additions to the text then:
12 - The package manager may support additional user-specified IGNORE
13 entries, for usage where a user's processes need to inject additional
14 files that would not be ignored by existing rules (e.g. user commits
15 the rsync tree to CVS with -kb).
16
17 Notes:
18 - distfiles/packages/local will be in IGNORE as distributed.
19 - package-manager might add lost+found if they have a filesystem just
20 for the tree.
21
22 > > Yes, put 'Verifying TIMESTAMP' into a new section as you added below,
23 > > including the out-of-date part there; don't detail how to verify it in
24 > > this section.
25 > I will try to do this today.
26 Looks good.
29 > > > > GLEP61, for the transition period, required compressed & uncompressed Manifests
30 > > > > in the same directory to have identical content. Include mention of that here.
31 > > >
32 > > > Can do. But I'll do it in 'Backwards compatibility' section:
33 > > > > - if the Manifest files inside the package directory are compressed,
34 > > > > a uncompressed file of identical content must coexist.
35 > > > > Saying that either can be used is a potential issue.
36 > > >
37 > > > Why? It also says that they must be identical, so it's of no difference
38 > > > to the implementation which one is used.
39 > >
40 > > It's safe if the identical requirement is there, and potentially unsafe otherwise.
41 > That's why they're both put in a *single sentence*?
42 'co-exist' in this context makes it the English parse weirdly to me,
43 that's why I was worried at first.
44
45 Maybe a rewrite:
46 An uncompressed Manifest file inside a package directory MUST exist
47 during the transition period. A compressed Manifest of identical content
48 MAY be present.
49
50 > > > But it makes no sense when top-level Manifest is signed. This points out
51 > > > that for tools not supporting full-tree verification smaller signatures
52 > > > need to be used (skipping the fact that Portage did not ever implement
53 > > > it).
54 > > The Manifests might not be signed by the same entity.
55 > > /metadata/glsa/Manifest might be signed by the security team,
56 > > /sec-policy/Manifest might be signed by SELinux team,
57 > > /Manifest should STILL be signed by Infra/tree-generation-process.
58 > I honestly doubt this will ever happen, and even if it does, it isn't
59 > really relevant to the spec at hand. My point was: if someone signs
60 > the whole repository, he normally will consider it pointless to sign
61 > individual package Manifests. This explains why he might consider it.
62 My argument is that it make sense to permit multiple levels of signature
63 even when the top-level is signed: glsa-check could get ahead of the
64 Portage curve by verifying /metadata/glsa/Manifest using Gemato :-).
65 It doesn't need to verify the whole tree, just that directory.
66
67 The package manager should decide about the GPG-verification of the
68 nested Manifests however, as they convey trust from different sources.
71 Robin Hugh Johnson
72 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer
73 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
74 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
75 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136