From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Drop EAPI=0 requirement for system packages.
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 04:04:42
1 On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:00:12 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Would be easier to prune old versions if we "force" them to be less
6 > > using at least preventing new ebuilds to use them. For example, what is
7 > > the advantage for a new ebuild to still rely on old src_compile phase
8 > > instead of src_prepare/configure...?
9 >
10 > It can be bumped by copying it from the ebuild for the previous
11 > version, thus introducing no errors.
12
13 Yeah, someone could be making a small change (eg. adding a patch that
14 requires a revbump) to a package they don't maintain and aren't familiar
15 with. Forcing them to port/rewrite the ebuild isn't going to make anyone
16 happy.
17
18 > I think the whole developers-can't-handle-47-EAPIs thing is a red
19 > herring. The fact that there are packages written in Erlang in the
20 > tree doesn't cause me any issues even though I haven't had to do any
21 > work in Erlang. If I ever wanted to maintain such a package then I'd
22 > take the time to learn it as needed. Likewise, if I wanted to
23 > maintain a package that used EAPI joe and I really prefer to work in
24 > EAPI fred, then I'd revise it at my next convenience.
25
26 Well, it's not just about ebuilds you maintain. Think about something
27 like the gcc-porting trackers where you have to touch a lot of ebuilds
28 across the tree. You really do have to have a working knowledge of the
29 differences between EAPIs to do so. My browser bookmark to the EAPI
30 cheatsheet is one of the more frequently used as it is.
34 gcc-porting
35 toolchain, wxwidgets we were never more here, expanse getting broader
36 @ gentoo.org but bigger boats been done by less water