From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Forbid using versions in DESCRIPTION
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:11:07
1 Tiziano Müller kirjoitti:
2 > Petteri Räty schrieb:
3 >> Currently there are some ebuilds in the tree that use ${PV} in
4 >> description which leads to results like:
6 >> Java SDK version 1.6.0
7 >>
8 >> I did see anything in devmanual taking a stance on this issue:
9 >> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html
10 >> What do you think about adding a sentence or two saying that you should
11 >> not use version numbers in DESCRIPTION? This could even be added to repoman.
12 >
13 > As far as I understood it, having DESCRIPTION in the ebuild itself
14 > (rather than in metadata) means that DESCRIPTION is allowed to change
15 > between versions, whether "automatically" by using a version-dependent
16 > variable or "manually".
17 >
18 > I'd therefore only add a note in the devmanual which recommends not to
19 > use ${PV} (and ${P}, ...) in the DESCRIPTION.
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Tiziano
25 But is there anything that makes use of version specific DESCRIPTION atoms?
26
27 Regards,
28 Petteri