From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 07:06:37
1 Walter Dnes posted on Fri, 30 Mar 2012 00:08:08 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:26:22PM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote
4 >
5 >> Though of course, if anybody has custom stuff in say,
6 >> /usr/portage/local/
7 >> which they make by hand, nuking /usr/portage will make you *Very*
8 >> unpopular.
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?
11 full=1#book_part3_chap5
12 > in the install handbook gives "/usr/local/portage" as an example overlay
13 > directory. I thought it was implicit that one shouldn't edit or create
14 > files in /usr/portage because they may be overwritten by the system e.g.
15 > during an "emerge --sync". Maybe the manual needs to state this
16 > explicitly. Also, /usr/local is the "standard" place to keep one's own
17 > software and/or global customizations that aren't handled by the package
18 > manager, but don't belong in one user's home directory.
19
20 FWIW:
21
22 $>>grep PORTDIR\\\|DISTDIR /etc/portage/make/fs
23 PORTDIR=/p
24 PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/l/p
25 DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/src
26
27 $>>grep exclude /etc/portage/make/net$>>cat /etc/portage/make/
28 rsync.exclude
29 # / on the left anchors (like regex ^), / on the right indicates dirs only
30
31 /layman/
32 /src/
33 /use.defaults
34
35 PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from='/etc/portage/make/
36 rsync.exclude'"
37
38 $>>cat /etc/portage/make/rsync.exclude
39 # / on the left anchors (like regex ^), / on the right indicates dirs only
40
41 /layman/
42 /src/
43 /use.defaults
44
45 ------------------------------------------
46
47 (/etc/portage/make/fs and the corresponding net file are sourced by
48 /etc/portage/make/master, which in turn is sourced by /etc/make.conf, so
49 those settings appear in portage, even tho they're actually in files in a
50 particular subdir of /etc/portage.)
51
52 So I have PORTDIR set to /p, with the layman and src subdirs in it, and
53 portage's rsync command set to exclude those subdirs.
54
55 FWIW, /usr/portage is a symlink to /p, just in case.
56
57 As Kent said, if that arrangement gets nuked despite my rsync --exclude
58 settings, the person responsible certainly won't be particularly popular
59 here (tho nothing irreplaceable would be lost, here, I'd simply have to
60 adjust things and try again).
61
62 Fortunately, our portage devs appear to be a bit more sane than to try
63 that and Zac at least isn't even proposing it. His proposal is to simply
64 change the default location for new users, which is fine by me. =:^)
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman