From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] opinion on how to improve the website redesign
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:18:35
1 It's interesting to compare http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/ with
2 http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/mainindex.html. One of the things that I
3 always liked about the original design was the fact that the front page
4 held a considerable amount of information without needing much vertical
5 scrolling. On the other hand, I like the fact that the current
6 iteration says something about what Gentoo actually is, which just seems
7 like a good idea on the front page. (Although I'd prefer to modify the
8 text a bit so that it starts with "Gentoo is" and is limited to just one
9 or two sentences.)
10
11 In fact, I've been thinking that it might be nice to remove the news
12 from the front page altogether (we could always have a news.gentoo.org for
13 people who mainly use the site for news), which would leave plenty of
14 space for the "Documentation", "Resources", and "Community" panels with
15 limited scrolling.
16
17 As an aside, I would prefer to see something fairly soon, even if it's
18 more a face lift than a redesign, than wait another year before we
19 update the site.
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76