From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP r2] Gentoo binary package container format
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:10:23
1 On 20-11-2018 21:33:17 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > The volume label
3 > ----------------
4 >
5 > The volume label provides an easy way for users to identify the binary
6 > package without dedicated tooling or specific format knowledge.
7 >
8 > The implementations should include a volume label consisting of fixed
9 > string ``gpkg:``, followed by a single space, followed by full package
10 > identifier. However, the implementations must not rely on the volume
11 > label being present or attempt to parse its value when it is.
12 >
13 > Furthermore, since the volume label is included in the .tar archive
14 > as the first member, it provides a magic string at a fixed location
15 > that can be used by tools such as file(1) to easily distinguish Gentoo
16 > binary packages from regular .tar archives.
17
18 Just for clarity on this point.
19 Are you proposing that we patch file(1) to print the Volume Header here?
20 file-5.35 seems to not say much but "tar archive" or "POSIX tar archive"
21 for tar-files containing a Volume Header as shown by tar -tv.
22
23 > Container and archive formats
24 > -----------------------------
25 >
26 > During the debate, the actual archive formats to use were considered.
27 > The .tar format seemed an obvious choice for the image archive since
28 > it is the only widely deployed archive format that stores all kinds
29 > of file metadata on POSIX systems. However, multiple options for
30 > the outer format has been debated.
31
32 You mention POSIX, which triggered me. I think it would be good to
33 specify which tar format to use.
34
35 POSIX.1-2001/pax format doesn't have a 100/256 char filename length
36 restriction, which is good but it is not (yet) used by default by GNU
37 tar. busybox tar can read pax tars, it seems.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Fabian
43 Fabian Groffen