From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A policy to support random superuser account names
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 18:29:32
1 On 30-04-2010 20:07:26 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > In my opinion, that policy should clearly indicate that the numeric
3 > UID/GID should be always used for referencing the superuser account
4 > as they are fixed unlike the names.
5
6 Just to complicate matters a bit, there are platforms where the
7 equivalent of "root" does not have uid = 0. So if you want to do it
8 right, you probably use a variable or two that define for the host in
9 use what/who the root user is. Much like we (the Prefix guys) already
10 store in Portage who is supposed to be the "portage" user, and who is
11 the "root" user, similar for their groups.
15 Fabian Groffen
16 Gentoo on a different level