From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-proxy herd is still looking for help (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-proxy herd is empty)
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 14:15:23
1 On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > If you want to help, please join the herd. If nobody joins, we will
3 > likely proceed with dropping it in a month and moving its packages
4 > to maintainer-needed letting everybody want the packages they prefer.
5 >
6 > Another option is to combine the net herds together into a bigger net
7 > herd, as I have previously suggested; we might need to look into that.
8
9 I'd think twice before doing that. If there is a real synergy (common
10 eclass use, need to manage deps and releases, etc) then it might make
11 sense. Otherwise all you end up doing is delaying the inevitable,
12 except this time with even a larger group of packages moving to
13 maintainer-needed.
14
15 Herds should be reasonably-sized, and they should be packages that
16 make sense to maintain together - not just collections of packages
17 that fit some theme. We already have categories. If maintainers
18 aren't coordinating across a herd then better to just split it up.
19
20 Note - I'm not calling for any dramatic changes here - if teams of
21 maintainers are already working closely together by all means keep
22 your herds. However, if a herd is just a dumping ground for packages
23 that nobody really looks at, then it isn't being used properly.
24
25 Rich