From: "Arsen Arsenović" <arsen@××××××.me>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:07:57
1 Hey,
2
3 On Friday, 30 September 2022 02:36:05 CEST William Hubbs wrote:
4 > I don't know for certain about a vendor tarball, but I do know there
5 > are instances where a vendor tarball wouldn't work.
6 > app-containers/containerd is a good example of this, That is why the
7 > vendor tarball idea was dropped.
8 It is indeed not possible to verify vendor tarballs[1]. The proposed
9 solution Go people had would also require network access.
10
11 > Upstream doesn't need to provide a tarball, just an up-to-date
12 > "vendor" directory at the top level of the project. Two examples that
13 > do this are docker and kubernetes.
14 Upstreams doing this sounds like a mess, because then they'd have to
15 maintain multiple source trees in their repositories, if I understand
16 what you mean.
17
18 An alternative to vendor tarballs is modcache tarballs. These are
19 absolutely massive (~20 times larger IIRC), though, they are verifiable.
20
21 opinion: I see no way around it. Vendor tarballs are the way to go. For
22 trivial cases, this can likely be EGO_SUM, but it scales exceedingly
23 poorly, to the point of the trivial case being a very small percentage
24 of Go packages. I proposed authenticated automation on Gentoo
25 infrastructure as a solution to this, and implemented (a slow and
26 unreliable) proof of concept (posted previously). The obvious question
27 of "how will proxy maintainers deal with this" is also relatively
28 simple: giving them authorization for a subset of packages that they'd
29 need to work on. This is an obvious increase in the barrier of entry for
30 fresh proxy maintainers, but it's still likely less than needing
31 maintainers to rework ebuilds to use vendor tarballs on dev.g.o.
34 [1]: https://github.com/golang/go/issues/27348
35 --
36 Arsen Arsenović