From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't require assignment of empty variables in ebuilds?
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:13:03
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 07:53:37PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> Our current policy [1] requires that ebuilds must assign the seven
4 >> variables DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, SRC_URI, LICENSE, SLOT, KEYWORDS, and
5 >> IUSE, even if their value is empty.
6 >>
7 >> Could we drop this requirement? Repoman already enforces that
8 >> DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE, LICENSE, SLOT, and KEYWORDS are non-empty
9 >> (with some exceptions for virtuals). I don't see why we need to
10 >> distinguish the "empty value" and "not assigned" cases.
11 >>
12 >> For example, many live ebuilds already don't define SRC_URI. I'm not
13 >> aware of any problems caused by this.
14 > +1 from me.
17 ++
18
19 Thanks,