From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Copyright assignment and ownership (again)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:04:56
1 An interesting idea presented itself this evening after listening to a
2 description in #gentoo-dev of a minor author-developer conflict regarding
3 giving credit to the original author of an ebuild, which had been heavily
4 rewritten by one of the developers:
5
6 Having read Gentoo's copyright policies and knowing that
7 they're /unquestioningly/ followed, I should submit an ebuild (being not
8 bound by a copyright assignment agreement) and then claim rights on it.
9 Perhaps if I were to initiate litigation against Gentoo, alleging that it was
10 falsely claiming copyright ownership over my work, the legal action would
11 facilitate the developers into abiding by their own copyright assignment
12 policies.
13
14 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright/
17 Quite frankly, I don't believe it's very likely that a legal entity will
18 initiate such litigation; unfortunately, in the rare event that litigation
19 did occur, it could cause a legal mess that would likely end in an
20 undesirable fashion. There are a number of factors to consider here. The
21 below assume that the submitting user has not signed a CAA:
22
23 First, licensing:
24 If a user submitted an ebuild containing the GPL licensing notice, Gentoo
25 could rightfully use and modify the ebuild as it required, distributing it as
26 needed. On the other hand, if a developer actually committed an ebuild
27 without that licensing statement (or added it to the file on their own accord
28 prior to it being committed), Gentoo would have absolutely no right to use,
29 modify or distribute such a work. In such circumstances, the author could
30 order the ebuild to be removed from the tree. One ebuild may not be of great
31 importance, however imagine if it was thirty ebuilds, or perhaps more. What
32 would happen if it were hundreds of ebuilds?
33
34 Second, ownership:
35 Assuming that a contributed ebuild is submitted with an enclosed GPL licensing
36 "stamp," normal developer-use (thereby implying modification and
37 distribution) of the file could occur-- I would surmise that this is a vastly
38 more common occurrence than the former example. While it has less potential
39 to impact the end-users of Gentoo, the author of such an ebuild could force
40 Gentoo to cease claiming ownership of the file in the standard, "Copyright X
41 Gentoo Foundation," notice. Ultimately, this might force the ebuild to be
42 modified to give proper credit, which is not an enormously difficult issue
43 for a developer to correct.
44
45 What does concern me, however, is that such contributions might be working
46 themselves into works other than the ebuilds, being Gentoo's made-in-house
47 software, written articles and project resources. Again, the author might be
48 able to force Gentoo to cease claiming ownership over non-assigned work,
49 though more importantly, this limits _Gentoo's_ ability to enforce the
50 integrity of their work.
51
52 If a user were to begin illegally using a derivative version of Portage in
53 violation of Gentoo's copyrights (whether it be licensing violations or
54 otherwise), the potential for foreign code existence suddenly becomes
55 critical to the defense of the software. I can only imagine the ease at which
56 a defense attorney could argue to a court that Gentoo only haphazardly
57 requires copyright assignment from its contributors, and is therefore
58 unaccountable for its software, or portions thereof-- how they would need to
59 prove that each and every single line of code was under their ownership. It
60 may very well be that some sections of code could be found unaccountable,
61 depriving Gentoo of its party interest in such segments.
62
63 In this way, the Linux kernel is open to abuse. As IBM is teaching SCO,
64 portions of code that you own cannot be illegally used under terms contrary
65 to that of the license under which they are released. Unfortunately, IBM can
66 only claim rights to and defend the code that it personally contributes. For
67 all of the other code, each individual contributor is responsible for
68 defending their work against abuse, which is the reason that some projects
69 opt to require copyright assignment to a single entity in a collaborative,
70 open-source development environment.
71
72 Arguing whether it's appropriate to assign copyrights is not within the scope
73 of this message, but if Gentoo is planning to continue under the mandate of
74 requiring contributors to assign copyrights, then there has to be no
75 acceptance for not following that rule. Either you assign copyrights
76 religiously, always and under every possible set of circumstances pending
77 death by infringement, FUD and the HURD people, or you don't assign
78 copyrights at all.
79
80 My personal belief is that copyright assignment is not necessary for ebuilds,
81 as they have a short shelf-life and are relatively trivial to replace if a
82 problem arises. The written works, software and all other project material,
83 in contrast, deserve nothing less than the uncompromised and genuine legal
84 protection that would be available through a copyright assignment policy that
85 was followed with respect by the developers and contributors.
86
87 Heated flames and constructive discussion are welcome.
91 Anthony Gorecki
92 Ectro-Linux Foundation