From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 11:42:52
1 On 2020.01.04 11:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there some reason that we should keep vanilla sources despite not
4 > getting security handling?
5 >
6 > --
7 > Rich
10 Rich,
11
12 Gentoo had this discussion before. The outcome was that
13 vanilla-sources is just as Linus intended.
14 If Gentoo did anything to it, it wouldn't be vanilla any longer.
15
16 Yes, it should be kept. We should not force users to learn
17 git or tar.
18
19 I agree git or a tarball of vanilla-sources is faster and more
20 efficient but that's not a reason to drop it.
21 By the same argument we could drop linux-firmware too.
22 There are probably other packages that only install whatever
23 they fetch. Could they be dropped?
26 Regards,
27
28 Roy Bamford