From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 03:32:05
1 > On 5 Jul 2022, at 00:21, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 05:27:03PM +0200, David Seifert wrote:
4 >> On Mon, 2022-07-04 at 16:19 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
5 >>> I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
6 >>>
7 >>> <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
8 > ...
9 >> Ultimately, all these things really matter when only the defaults
10 >> change. Turn-right-on-red in the US is such a thing, because unless
11 >> otherwise stated, it's the norm. Knowing our devbase, with roughly 75%
12 >> mostly AWOL and barely reading the MLs, I don't think this idea will
13 >> bring about the desired change. Instead, we should really just go for
14 >> the <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> tag, because my feeling is that
15 >> the default will be that most maintainers don't mind non-maintainer
16 >> commits, except a select few territorial ones.
17 >
18 > I had a rough draft similar proposal to this before that was never
19 > completed into GLEP.
20
21 https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-dev&m=137184067920894&w=2
22 and possibly a later version too if anyone is interested like I was.
23
24 The discussions there are pretty interesting if nothing else.
25
26 Best,
27 sam